Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Simplicity

I love the challenge of working with little,
Like running out of money a week before the next payday, looking in the pantry and digging through the refrigerator trying to come up with something for a meal. I don't see it as a failure , as maybe my husband would. But as a challenge. and then comes the satisfaction of knowing that you can overcome an inconvenience, that you can be innovative, creative, and still happy with little. 
Our culture drills into us that excess somehow equals happiness, contentment. But have you ever been content?
The only time I am ever content is when I am working hard with my hands. Down on my hands and knees scrubbing a tile floor. Kneeding dough with ring-less hands. There is something satisfying in the work of your own hands, in seeing the fruit of your labor.
Proverbs 30 says "give me neither poverty nor riches, only my daily bread." 
I do not desire poverty, I have not taken any sacred vow to give up all worldly possessions, but I do pray this, "only my daily bread" that I may learn to be a good steward of what God has given me. 
That I may learn to live with less. There is something innately beautiful about this. 
simplicity. 
It is a bit of a buzz word these days, with the trends of being eco-friendly, "green" and all that. 
but really, simplicity is....liberating. 
it is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment